Journal 9-10: Fandom

In general, whenever I think of “fans,” I think of “fangirls.”  Without fail, the stereotypical, obsessed, sobbing, “squeeing” mass of teenage girls comes to mind.  Especially when it comes to Twilight, which is in my mind, the ultimate culmination of fangirls.  In a stereotypical sense, I would characterize fangirls as girls ages 12-17, who love:

a. Anime guys (more specifically Edward Elric, Spike, Sebastian, that masked guy from Sailor Moon)

b. Vampires (Angel, Spike, Edward Cullen)

The pattern?  Either really hot, supernatural men, or really hot, animated guys.  These stereotypical fangirls love the boys, the bad boys, the tortured ones, and the romantic men.

Again, these are stereotypes that I in my limited experience with fandom have come across.  We have TwiHards, Trekkies, and the list goes on.  However, I don’t know how I would characterize myself in terms of fandom.  When it comes to science fiction, I don’t love all scifi, but there are specific works that I would call myself a fan of.  First, I characterize “being a fan” for me as being willing to read or watch the work multiple times.  It is also a work that I am willing to at least Wikipedia to find out more about.  I’m a total trivia junkie, so when I get invested in a book or a movie, I want to learn about it more and more.  I want to know the reasons behind choices and why certain issues were explored.  Some examples of scifi works I am a “fan” of are:

• The Giver, Lois Lowry
  • Anthem, Ayn Rand
  • Smallville (sorry guys)
  • Any dystopian literature

I actually tend to lean more towards fantasy films though.  For example, I love animated movies.  Specifically Don Bluth or Disney movies, but because Disney movies tend to follow the same pattern, I find the Bluth movies much more interesting.  One of his films that I am an avid fan of is “Secret of NIMH.”  This movie, made in the 1980s, is definitely dark.  But Don Bluth has said that children can handle anything as long as there is a happy ending.  I definitely agree with this because I think that children’s films nowadays don’t give kids enough credit…it’s an insult to their intelligence.  And Bluth just makes that so clear in each of his films.

Insert fangirl squee here.

But back to fandom.  I think there is a fine line sometimes between fandom and addiction.  For example, gaming may gain fans, but does the extent of your fandom depend on how much you play the game or how much you know about it?  Does it matter?

One Response to “Journal 9-10: Fandom”

1. Warren Rochelle says:

Does it matter? To some, yes–but I would like to think if you enjoy something, that is the place to start. At some point, rent Galaxy Quest, a good spoof on SF/Trekkie fans–who are guys.