To Be a SF Fan

I don’t consider myself to be a SF fan, but I do appreciate the literary and visual art that makes up the SF community.  I appreciate how SF fans are able to band together by their common interests, however, sometimes fans seem to get too carried away with those interests.  I suppose that’s just an aspect of society: to try to be as involved as possible with the individuals we put on a pedestal, and I don’t mean individuals having to do with SF but with celebrities in general.

In that sense, I envy those who consider themselves SF fans because they are committed to extremely unique ideas, such as alternate realities, and because they value the art of SF authors.  Also, the authors or creators of these alternate realities don’t merely create these other worlds for funsies but they do so in order to observe the negative aspects of society and comment on them.  For example, James Cameron formed a visually stunning reality with his creation of Pandora in Avatar.  However, not only did he develop breath-taking scenes, but he questioned society’s mindless destruction of the environment and also other people’s cultures.

It seems kind of tragic to me that SF fans are forced into their own niche: that they’re sort of excluded from “normal” society (I guess “normal” people are the people consumed by sports statistics rather than SF movie releases).  There was a quote from myouterspace.com that  said, “We think it’s pretty cool to have a sci-fi site where we can freak out with our geek out,” like fans aren’t able to be themselves outside of their sites and their conventions.  The only issue I see with some fans is that it seems that they’re sometimes consumed by these alternate reality, but all people are consumed by some thing.

Gamers, on the other hand, I don’t understand.  To me, it doesn’t make sense that someone can spend hours at a time playing a game.  I guess to them, it doesn’t make sense that someone can’t spend hours at a time playing a game.  So I don’t know.  I’ve never really experienced life as a gamer so I can’t comprehend the majesty of finding out that a new version of my favorite game is being released, etc.  I guess that games could do the same things as SF novels, shows, and films do, but instead of merely viewing these alternate realities, one can become a part of those realities.  In that sense, gamers are just more extreme SF fans?

Maybe I’m missing out, or maybe I just don’t see the point in being immersed in a reality that I know isn’t real.  Either way, I do appreciate the ways in which SF authors critique society by developing alternative ways of living: not only do they point out the problems with society, but they develop a solution for those problems.  However, I don’t see myself becoming a SF fan to the extent that I’m consumed by the dynamics of the genre.

2 Responses to “To Be a SF Fan”

1. Warren Rochelle says:

Yes, one way to look at gamers is as the extreme version of SF fans–lost in a reality, at least for a while. Beyond just plain old escapism, why do people seek alternatives to the world they live in? Fantasizing, for example, about a future mate or job?

2. Warren Rochelle says:

Of what are you a fan?