Review of The Hunger Games movie

I went to see the Hunger Games movie on the 22nd at midnight. I bought my tickets almost a month in advance. Needless to say, I was incredibly excited. I had read all the books in the trilogy a year ago.

Here are my thoughts on the movie: I thought it was excellent. I liked the camera style, making it like a documentary although it did get incredibly bumpy at some points. They did make some changes, such as leaving out the avox, Madge, and Katniss wounding her ear. I don’t know if they will touch on the ear thing or the avox in the next movie.

One thing that I think they did better in the movie then they did in the book is foreshadowing the conflicts that come up in the later books. The way they presented the Capitol, especially President Snow, was spot on. I really liked that they included the game makers manipulating the game. It showed that to them, the main goal of the game was to put on a good show and kill the tributes. The movie also put more emphasis on President Snow’s dislike of District 12 and Katniss. Seneca Crane being killed in the end was a nice touch, as we know it happens in the book but I liked how Snow did it with the berries.

The scene with District 11 rioting after Rue’s death was also a good addition, in my opinion. Once again it foreshadowed some of the things in the following books. It also helped to show how the Districts dislike the game. I feel that a lot of the things that they changed made it simpler to understand without the explanations the book was able to give, which it makes sense that they would want to keep it simple in the movies.

The biggest change that I’m not sure I like was Cato’s speech at the end, right before he died. Personally, I thought that the way he died in the books was very powerful, slowly being torn apart by the Mutts (who were scary but didn’t have the eyes). I do think Cato’s speech was good, about how he realized it was really all about death but at the same time I liked in the book that Cato had been so manipulated by the Capitol that he didn’t seem to realize the truth.

As a last note, I think all of the cast was spot on, even Lenny Kravitz who I was weary of at first did a great job. I’ll definitely be at the midnight premier of Catching Fire.

Tags: ,

One Response to “Review of The Hunger Games movie”

1. Warren Rochelle says:

Good. I am looking forward to seeing the movie.