So I really enjoy my privacy.

I’m a very extroverted person as I’m sure all of you know. I speak up even when I have something to contribute and even when I have no idea what on earth I’m talking about. I guess I’m just a sociable person like that. However, I also take to being alone quite well! I love a good book, I can spend hours engrossed in a game, and for the love of god I adore sleeping. So despite my comfort being noticed and heard much of the time, I deeply value my privacy. Ergo, I really wouldn’t want to live in the Neanderthal world. 24/7 surveillance isn’t really my cup of tea (hah, “cup of tea,” British stuff, they have intense security regulations now- I’m done.)

I can’t imagine living in a world where every single thing that I ever do is monitored, recorded and examined in the case of something that could be misconstrued as somehow criminal. Now, I don’t have very much to hide. I don’t do drugs, I don’t have any secret plots to take over the world or anything, and for the most part I’m very open about what I have to say. My parents realized this and so they let me have my door locked at a younger age than most. Even today I lock the door when I close it, mostly out of habit at this point. It’s just that, simply put, when I want to be alone, I want to be alone. If I want to go and read some intense fantasy novel in my room, I want to do it. And I don’t want someone monitoring me. Incidentally, looking over my shoulder while I type is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine.

Concerning the lack of/impossibility of a crime on the Neanderthal world: the way I see it, things that are bad here would still be viewed as bad there. Howard raised the point in class that if everyone knew about -insert taboo behavior here-, it would be accepted. Well, I beg to differ, and so does Sawyer. If this wasn’t the case, then the plot point of murder would have been rather irrelevant. And concerning the different setting of Annares and crime, if someone commits a crime, then I would act out against them. It’s pretty simple really.

Although, I admit, I would REALLY dislike living in a barren wasteland.

One Response to “So I really enjoy my privacy.”

1. Nico says:

Nico Madden